Papua New Guinea's state-owned Kumul Petroleum is in talks with Australia's export credit agency to help fund a $1.1-billion acquisition of a 5% stake in the PNG LNG project from Santos Ltd., the PNG company's head said on Dec. 6.
Kumul Petroleum managing director Wapu Sonk said backing from Export Finance Australia (EFA) was Canberra's way of aiding its northern neighbor.
"It's to help us help the country," Sonk told Reuters on the sidelines of a conference in Sydney.
"We're also working with other financing partners to complement the EFA financing," he said, adding that there was interest from a wide range of lenders.
EFA declined to comment.
Santos announced in September that Kumul had made a binding offer to buy a 5% stake in PNG LNG from the company for $1.1 billion, subject to the other joint venture partners, which include Exxon Mobil Corp. and Japan's JX Holdings Inc., waiving their pre-emptive rights to match the offer.
The Papua New Guinea government would eventually like to buy a total stake of 10% in PNG LNG from Santos, Petroleum Minister Kerenga Kua said on Dec. 6.
"Santos wants to give 10% up. That's no question on their part. But who gets it is the question," Kua told Reuters in an interview on the sidelines of the conference.
"State wants it, but our challenge is how do we finance 10% and not just 5%," he said.
A Santos spokesperson declined to comment and referred to what the company said in September on the sale.
"We feel that if we get 10% we can secure the social licensing that's needed to give security to all of us. We want to create an environment where the society is content," Kua said.
Sonk said Kumul aimed to complete its acquisition of the 5% stake by June or July.
He said acquiring a further 5% is currently off the table, but Kumul had the option to buy another 5% stake if Santos were to put it up for sale.
Sonk said the joint venture partners in PNG LNG had indicated they would waive their pre-emptive rights to match its offer for the stake.
"So far, the JV's are indicating they will not exercise their rights," Sonk said, adding that the next hurdle was financing, which the company aims to line up by April.
Recommended Reading
Expand Lands 5.6-Miler in Appalachia in Five Days With One Bit Run
2025-03-11 - Expand Energy reported its Shannon Fields OHI #3H in northern West Virginia was drilled with just one bit run in some 30,000 ft.
Ring May Drill—or Sell—Barnett, Devonian Assets in Eastern Permian
2025-03-07 - Ring Energy could look to drill—or sell—Barnett and Devonian horizontal locations on the eastern side of the Permian’s Central Basin Platform. Major E&Ps are testing and tinkering on Barnett well designs nearby.
E&Ps Pivot from the Pricey Permian
2025-02-01 - SM Energy, Ovintiv and Devon Energy were rumored to be hunting for Permian M&A—but they ultimately inked deals in cheaper basins. Experts say it’s a trend to watch as producers shrug off high Permian prices for runway in the Williston, Eagle Ford, the Uinta and the Montney.
EOG Ramps Gassy Dorado, Oily Utica, Slows Delaware, Eagle Ford D&C
2025-03-16 - EOG Resources will scale back on Delaware Basin and Eagle Ford drilling and completions in 2025.
Watch for Falling Gas DUCs: E&Ps Resume Completions at $4 Gas
2025-01-23 - Drilled but uncompleted (DUC) gas wells that totaled some 500 into September 2024 have declined to just under 400, according to a J.P. Morgan Securities analysis of Enverus data.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.