The Canadian government is in discussion with the companies behind two proposed East Coast LNG export facilities to see how it can speed up the projects and help boost supply to Europe, Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson told Reuters on May 6.
Wilkinson said the government was looking at Spanish company Repsol’s LNG facility in New Brunswick and the Goldboro LNG facility in Nova Scotia proposed by Pieridae Energy.
Ottawa has held talks with European countries about ways to boost energy exports to the continent after Russia's invasion of Ukraine in February upended oil and gas supplies.
However, Canada, the world’s sixth-largest natural gas producer, does not have any East Coast LNG facilities and only one under construction on its west coast.
“We are looking at Goldboro and Repsol’s projects and discussing these with the proponents and with German and European counterparts,” Wilkinson said in an interview.
“We are looking at whether there are things we can do to expedite one or more of the projects in a manner that’s consistent with environmental considerations and a long-term transition to a lower-carbon future.”
Pieridae is proposing a 2.4 megatonne per annum floating export facility.
Pieridae spokesman James Millar confirmed the company has had discussions with the government about an LNG export facility.
“Pieridae has a solution that would allow Canada to take a leadership role in supplying much needed natural gas overseas to help solve this issue. We would do this through a net-zero emissions LNG export facility that is actionable today,” Millar said in an email.
Repsol already operates an LNG import facility in Saint John, and acquired 100% ownership of the project last year. It did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Wilkinson said for the projects to go ahead they would “almost certainly” have to use clean electricity rather than natural gas in the liquefaction process, and have the ability to eventually transition to exporting hydrogen.
He added that the CA$10 billion Énergie Saguenay LNG project, which both the Quebec and federal governments rejected on environmental grounds, was unlikely to be revived.
Recommended Reading
M&A Target Double Eagle Ups Midland Oil Output 114% YOY
2025-01-27 - Double Eagle IV ramped up oil and gas production to more than 120,000 boe/d in November 2024, Texas data shows. The E&P is one of the most attractive private equity-backed M&A targets left in the Permian Basin.
Occidental, Ecopetrol Extend Midland Basin Drilling JV
2025-02-03 - The updated plans between Occidental and Colombian state oil company Ecopetrol call for 34 new Midland Basin wells between April 2025 and June 2026.
Report: Diamondback in Talks to Buy Double Eagle IV for ~$5B
2025-02-14 - Diamondback Energy is reportedly in talks to potentially buy fellow Permian producer Double Eagle IV. A deal could be valued at over $5 billion.
NOG Spends $67MM on Midland Bolt-On, Ground Game M&A
2025-02-13 - Non-operated specialist Northern Oil & Gas (NOG) is growing in the Midland Basin with a $40 million bolt-on acquisition.
Report: Will Civitas Sell D-J Basin, Buy Permian’s Double Eagle?
2025-01-15 - Civitas Resources could potentially sell its legacy Colorado position and buy more assets in the Permian Basin— possibly Double Eagle’s much-coveted position, according to analysts and media reports.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.