Greenpeace's legal challenge against the British government over its invitation to oil and gas explorers last year to apply for licences in the North Sea can proceed to a full hearing, a judge at London's High Court ruled on April 25.
Last year, Britain held its first oil and gas exploration licensing round since 2019, with the government saying it was looking to boost domestic hydrocarbon output as Europe weans itself off Russian fuel and after energy prices spiked.
Greenpeace says the government and the oil and gas regulator NSTA should take into account the emissions from burning the oil and gas produced as a result of the licensing round, rather than merely the emissions from the extraction process.
"I am delighted that there will be a full hearing," said Kate Harrison, Greenpeace's lawyer.
"Greenpeace says that the Secretary of State should have assessed the emissions from the consumption of the new gas and oil he was giving the green light to and the lawfulness of his decision not to will be fully aired."
In a written argument, the defendants' lawyers had said the government believed "there was an insufficient causal connection between the extraction of oil and gas and the downstream emissions arising from its consumption to enable a meaningful assessment of the environmental effects of the latter."
Recommended Reading
Australia's Woodside in Talks with at Least Three Partners for Louisiana LNG, Sources Say
2025-02-18 - Woodside Energy has held talks with several potential buyers of stakes in its Louisiana LNG plant, including Tokyo Gas, Japan's JERA and Saudi Aramco-backed MidOcean Energy, multiple sources told Reuters.
USGS: 47 MMbbl of Oil, 876 Bcf of Gas in Conventional Rockies’ Basins
2025-03-13 - The U.S. Geological Survey surveyed areas where potential hydrocarbons in as yet undiscovered oil and gas formations in the Wind River, Bighorn and Powder River basins.
Trump Ambiguous Whether Canadian-Mexico Tariffs to Include Oil
2025-01-31 - At a news conference, President Trump said that he would exclude oil from tariffs before backtracking to say that he “may or may not” impose duties on crude.
Enbridge Plans $2B Upgrade for Mainline Crude Pipeline Network
2025-03-05 - New tariffs imposed by President Trump are unlikely to affect Enbridge’s Canadian and U.S. operations, CEO says.
Analysts: How Trump's Tariffs Might Affect Commodity, Energy Sectors
2025-02-03 - Trump's move has sparked volatility in the commodities market. Oil prices rose, with WTI up 2.4% at $74.27 a barrel and Brent crude futures adding 1% to $76.40 a barrel.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.