E.ON, Europe's largest operator of energy networks, cut the value of its stake in the Nord Stream 1 gas pipeline by around 700 million euros (US$715 million) on Aug. 10, citing "heightened uncertainty" over the impact of the war in Ukraine.
The pipeline, which is currently pumping gas from Russia to Germany at just a fifth of its capacity, epitomizes an energy stand-off that has pitted gas-dependent European states against main supplier Moscow following its Ukraine offensive.
"The current energy crisis finally makes clear that Europe needs to transform its energy system. To be independent of Russian gas. To ensure supply security," E.ON chief executive Leonhard Birnbaum told reporters.
E.ON had said in March that the 15.5% stake, held indirectly via the firm's pension fund, has a book value of 1.2 billion euros – translating into a 58% decline in the participation's value – but warned of a value adjustment.
CFO Marc Spieker said the stake's value was now 500 million euros.
When asked if E.ON was considering a sale of its stake, CEO Birnbaum said the company remained committed to the holding and was exercising its rights as a shareholder of the project.
However, E.ON said Nord Stream 1's shareholder committee, which also includes majority owner Gazprom, France's Engie, Wintershall Dea and Dutch Gasunie, has not met so far this year, Spieker said.
E.ON had also said in March a value adjustment to the pipeline stake would negatively impact pension provisions and net debt but would not trigger liquidity issues.
E.ON also reported first-half results which showed a 15% decline in first-half adjusted core profit to 4.06 billion euros, sticking to its 2022 outlook for adjusted EBITDA of between 7.6 billion and 7.8 billion euros.
Recommended Reading
Energy Vault Begins Construction of Battery Storage Project in Australia
2025-02-24 - Energy Vault says it will use a special inverter which enables advanced grid support functionalities for the project.
Energy Transition in Motion (Week of March 14, 2025)
2025-03-14 - Here is a look at some of this week’s renewable energy news, including a record-breaking year for solar capacity additions.
First Solar Continues to Ride Growth Streak Fueled by Incentives, Demand
2025-02-26 - First Solar ended 2024 with a contracted backlog of 68.5 gigawatts valued at $20.5 billion, having sold a record 14.1 GW of modules.
Solar, Clean Energy Face Headwinds Amid Post-Election Uncertainty
2025-01-22 - With a new Trump administration taking charge, renewable energy, including solar, may face headwinds that stagnate project development or continue it at a slower pace, analysts say.
Energy Transition in Motion (Week of Feb. 21, 2025)
2025-02-21 - Here is a look at some of this week’s renewable energy news, including a record for community solar capacity in the U.S.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.