Exxon Mobil Corp. expects up to $200 million in charges this year related to job cuts in an era of cost savings, according to a regulatory filing.
The biggest U.S. oil producer has slashed costs, delayed projects and said it could trim an estimated 14,000 employees globally, or 15%, including contractors. Exxon Mobil reported its first annual loss last year as the COVID-19 pandemic battered energy demand.
The company will spend more this year than in 2020 as workers exit, according to the filing.
Total cash outflows would be between $400 million and $600 million, versus $47 million last year, according to the filing. Exxon Mobil had set aside some money last year toward the costs.
The severance cost estimate does not include job cuts related to changes in the company’s portfolio, it said.
Reductions should be “substantially complete” by year-end, including voluntary and involuntary exits and the use of fewer in contractors, Exxon Mobil said.
In the first quarter, the company had before-tax charges of $39 million mostly from employee separation costs in Singapore and Europe.
Cost savings from its global staffing review are likely to range between $1 billion and $2 billion per year versus 2019 levels, according to the filing on May 5.
Recommended Reading
Constellation Bets Big on NatGas in $16.4B Deal for Calpine
2025-01-10 - Constellation Energy will acquire Calpine Corp. in a $26.6 billion deal, including debt, that will give the pure-play nuclear company the largest natural gas power generation fleet.
DNO to Buy Sval Energi for $450MM, Quadruple North Sea Output
2025-03-07 - Norwegian oil and gas producer DNO ASA will acquire Sval Energi Group AS’ shares from private equity firm HitecVision.
Summit Acquires Moonrise Midstream Assets to Alleviate D-J Constraints
2025-03-10 - A Summit Midstream Corp. (SMC) subsidiary will acquire Moonrise Midstream from Fundare Resources Co. in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $90 million.
Excelerate to Buy LNG, Power Assets from New Fortress for $1.055B
2025-03-27 - Excelerate Energy will buy a New Fortress Energy’s Integrated downstream LNG and power platform in Jamaica in a $1.055 billion cash acquisition.
Nabors SPAC, e2Companies $1B Merger to Take On-Site Powergen Public
2025-02-12 - Nabors Industries’ blank check company will merge with e2Companies at a time when oilfield service companies are increasingly seeking on-site power solutions for E&Ps in the oil patch.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.