[Editor's note: This story was updated at 1:46 p.m. Fec. 22.]
Floyd Wilson is stepping down from the Halcón Resources Corp. (NYSE: HK) management team and board to “pursue other interests,” the Houston-based company said Feb. 21.
In addition to Wilson’s departure as the company’s chairman, CEO and president, Mark Mize, executive vice president, CFO and Treasurer, and Steve Herod, executive vice president of corporate development, both resigned and will leave Halcón in the coming weeks to pursue other opportunities.
The slew of management changes at Halcón follows calls for a sale of the company made earlier this month by activist investor Fir Tree Partners.
RELATED: Activist Investor Threatens Halcón Resources With Proxy Fight
Fir Tree, which owns about 7.2% of Halcón, had said Feb. 4 that if the company did not cut expenses and appoint new board members, it may run a proxy contest at the next annual general meeting to replace its entire board.
On Feb. 22, Fir Tree commented on Halcón’s management and board changes but also renewed its call for the sale of the company.
“We are encouraged that Halcón is following our recommendations by enacting changes at the senior management and board level and significantly reducing G&A–with a particular focus on cutting excessive executive compensation costs. In our view, these are important first steps towards realizing increased value for the company’s shareholders and we commend the board for these actions,” the firm said in a statement. “However, we continue to believe that there is more work to do to maximize shareholder value, which is highlighted by Halcón’s stock trading down since this announcement.”
The firm added that it believes Halcón has “an ideal opportunity at this point to initiate a sale process.”
During Wilson’s tenure, Halcón transformed itself into a Delaware Basin-focused independent energy company, shedding assets in the Bakken and Eagle Ford shale plays.
Wilson said in a statement: “Leading Halcón for the past seven years alongside a great management team has been a privilege and I am proud of the efforts of all of our employees. I’m confident a platform is in place that will allow the company to move forward with profitable growth and value creation.”
James Christmas has been appointed non-executive chairman of the board. He has served as a director of Halcón since February 2012 and also serves as lead independent director and chairman of the audit committee.
The Halcón board will commence a search process for a permanent CEO, according to the company release.
In the interim, Halcón will be managed by a management committee led by David Elkouri, executive vice president and chief legal officer, which will report to Christmas.
“Our board is focused on pursuing a strategy to enhance profitability and increase shareholder value through disciplined cost management and operational improvements,” Christmas said in a statement. “Halcón’s management team will have a renewed focus on reducing costs at all levels and optimizing development of Halcón’s outstanding acreage with an emphasis on managing drilling and completion costs to maximize rates of return.”
Recommended Reading
NGP Backs Wing Resources with $100MM to Buy Permian Mineral Interests
2025-04-02 - Wing Resources VIII, which is backed by NGP Royalty Partners III, will focus on acquiring “high-quality” mineral and royalty interests across the Permian Basin, the company said.
Boardwalk Project to Grow Southern Access for Appalachian NatGas
2025-04-02 - Midstream company Boardwalk Pipeline is holding an open season for future new capacity on the Texas Gas Transmission pipeline.
Exxon Mobil Vice President Karen McKee to Retire After 34 Years
2025-04-02 - Matt Crocker will succeed Karen T. McKee as vice president of Exxon Mobil and president of its product solutions company.
Paisie: How a World in Flux Impacts Oil Prices
2025-04-02 - Sanctions, tariffs and production strategies are buffeting crude markets as wild cards like tariffs and geopolitical conflicts make headlines.
Oil Prices Fall into Negative Territory as Trump Announces New Tariffs
2025-04-02 - U.S. futures rose by a dollar and then turned negative over the course of Trump's press conference on April 2 in which he announced tariffs on trading partners including the European Union, China and South Korea.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.