Shell USA Inc. and electric vehicle company Volta Inc. announced a definitive merger agreement under which Shell will acquire Volta in a $169 million all-cash transaction, according to a press release on Jan. 18.
San Francisco-based Volta brings an extensive network of electric vehicle (EV) charging stalls in construction or evaluation, an established position in the seismic EV charging market and Volta Media Network capabilities.
Through the acquisition, Shell hopes to incorporate Volta's established EV charging and media network into its brand and expand EV charging opportunities.
"The shift to e-mobility is unstoppable, and Shell recognizes Volta's industry-leading dual charging and media model delivers a public charging offering that is affordable, reliable, and accessible," Volta interim CEO Vince Cubbage commented in the release.
Upon completion of the merger, Shell will acquire all outstanding shares of Volta's Class A common stock for $0.86/share in cash, equating to an approximate 18% premium to the closing price of the company's stock on Jan. 17, 2023.
Subject to approval from Volta's stockholders and customary closing conditions, the transaction is expected to close within the first half of 2023. It has already been approved by the company's board of directors.
UBS Securities LLC and Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP are serving as Shell's financial and legal advisors, respectively. Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC and Barclays Capital Inc. are serving as Volta's advisors, while Shearman & Sterling LLP is serving as its legal advisor.
"While the EV infrastructure market opportunity is potentially enormous, Volta's ability to capture it independently, in challenging market conditions and with ongoing capital constraints, was limited," Cubbage continued. "This transaction creates value for our shareholders and provides our exceptional employees and other stakeholders a clear path forward."
Recommended Reading
Belcher: Trump’s Policies Could Impact Global Energy Markets
2025-01-24 - At their worst, Trump’s new energy policies could restrict the movement of global commerce and at their best increase interest rates and costs.
Trump to End Need for Some LNG Export Permit Renewals, Sources Say
2025-01-15 - Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, has said he would issue an LNG order on day one that would end the pause on approvals for new LNG projects that outgoing President Joe Biden put in place in January last year.
CEO: TotalEnergies to Expand US LNG Investment Over Next Decade
2025-02-06 - TotalEnergies' investments could include expansion projects at its Cameron LNG and Rio Grande LNG facilities on the Gulf of Mexico, CEO Patrick Pouyanne said.
Trade War! Or Maybe Not
2025-03-06 - An energy industry that prefers stability gets hit with whiplash as it attempts to adjust to the Great Disruptor taking over the White House.
Segrist: Permit Reform Rumbles as US Seeks to ‘Unleash American Energy’
2025-03-19 - The White House has called for changes to a heavily criticized system, but new rules require a lot more work.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.