Canadian government-owned Trans Mountain Corp. asked the country's energy regulator on Dec. 14 to reverse a decision rejecting proposed construction changes on its oil pipeline expansion, warning of a possibly "catastrophic" two-year delay and billions of dollars in losses.
If Trans Mountain goes ahead with the construction plan that is currently approved, complications could result in a borehole for the pipeline becoming compromised, forcing Trans Mountain to find an alternative installation plan, the company said in a letter to the Canada Energy Regulator (CER).
The CER this month had denied Trans Mountain's request for a variance on a section of pipeline under construction in British Columbia. Trans Mountain had asked to be allowed to install smaller diameter pipe in a 1.4-mile (2.3-km) section of the oil pipeline's route after encountering difficult drilling conditions due to the hardness of the rock in a mountainous area between Hope and Chilliwack.
The CER decision was yet another setback for the over-budget, delayed CA$30.9-billion (US$23.05 billion) expansion project (TMEP), intended to triple shipments of crude from Alberta to Canada's Pacific coast to 890,000 bbl/d once it starts operating.
In the Dec. 14 letter, Trans Mountain said the hard rock conditions and fractured areas within the bedrock have allowed high rates of water ingress, causing complications. Those problems are likely to worsen if Trans Mountain has to proceed with installing larger-diameter pipe, it said.
"If the (horizontal directional drill) fails and Trans Mountain is required to implement an alternative installation plan, the TMEP schedule will likely be delayed by approximately two years, and Trans Mountain will suffer billions of dollars in losses," the company said.
Trans Mountain asked for a decision no later than Jan. 9 to stick to its current schedule.
The Trans Mountain expansion is due to start shipping oil by the end of March 2024. Trans Mountain had previously warned of a shorter delay of 59 days if it was forced to install larger-diameter pipe.
Given the new information provided by Trans Mountain, the CER will likely approve its request, Stifel analyst Michael Dunn said in a note.
Concerns about delays have increased the discount this month on Canadian heavy crude compared to the North American benchmark. Oil producers have been raising output in anticipation of expanded options to export their oil to refineries in California and Asia.
The CER could not be immediately reached.
Construction of the Trans Mountain expansion is 97% complete.
Recommended Reading
Matador Exits Eagle Ford Shale, Preps for ‘Turbulent Times’
2025-04-04 - Matador Resources Co. divested its Eagle Ford Shale assets “in preparation for turbulent times” but doesn’t expect tariffs to affect well costs until the second half of 2025.
Appalachia, Haynesville Minerals M&A Heats Up as NatGas Prices Rise
2025-04-03 - Several large Appalachia and Haynesville minerals and royalties packages are expected to hit the market as buyer interest grows for U.S. natural gas.
RPC Acquires Pintail Completions to Expand Permian OFS Operations
2025-04-03 - RPC Inc. paid $245 million in cash and other considerations for the wireline service provider.
TotalEnergies Grows Renewables Portfolio with Project Acquisitions
2025-04-03 - TotalEnergies has entered into deals with RES, VSB Group and SN Power for assets in North America, Africa and Europe.
INEOS Buys CNOOC’s Gulf Assets, Bringing US Deals Total to $3B
2025-04-02 - INEOS Energy closed an acquisition of U.S. Gulf assets held by a CNOOC subsidiary. Combined with a previous LNG agreement and acquisition of Eagle Ford Shale assets, the British company has spent $3 billion in the U.S.
Comments
Add new comment
This conversation is moderated according to Hart Energy community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion. If you’re experiencing any technical problems, please contact our customer care team.