Libya's biggest oilfield, El Sharara, will remain shut until an armed group occupying the site leaves, the head of National Oil Corp (NOC) said on Jan. 29, more than a month after the field closed because of a protest.
"The armed group attempting to hold NOC and Libya's economic recovery to ransom must leave the field before NOC will consider restarting production," NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla told a Chatham House conference in London.
The field was producing as much as 315,000 barrels per day (bbl/d) ahead of its closure, but it has lost 13,000 bbl/d of capacity since last month due to security breaches, Sanalla told reporters on the sidelines of the event.
The oilfield has been under force majeure since December. Before the nation plunged into conflict in 2011, the site had the capacity to produce 340,000 bbl/d.
OPEC member Libya is now producing just below 1 MMbbl/d, Sanalla said, below average production in 2018 of 1.1 MMbbl/d.
NOC operates Sharara in partnership with Repsol, Total, OMV and Equinor.
Libya's oil industry has faced disruption since unrest began, with rival power centers in the west and east. Protesters and armed groups have often targeted oilfields and energy infrastructure.
General Khalifa Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA), which is based in the east, launched a campaign this month in southwest Libya that it says aimed to combat militant groups and secure oil facilities in the area, including El Sharara.
NOC is based in the capital Tripoli, in the country's west, home to the internationally recognized government.
Referring to the LNA initiative, Sanalla said the effort to restart the field "has been complicated further by the launch of an international counter-terrorism mission which has expanded into an attempt to seize control of territory, including potentially, national oil infrastructure".
"It is my concern that a sequence of events has been set in motion with unknowable consequences for Libya, and NOC," he said.
He said the preferred solution for securing the field involved deploying a Petroleum Facilities Guards (PFG) force, managed by NOC, adding that NOC would adopt this option with "some reluctance".
Different factions of the PFG have previously been responsible for shutdowns at oil facilities.
He said NOC had suggested that, as an immediate measure, "a mixed force might provide a solution within a negotiated security framework" led by the Government of National Accord in Tripoli and with the support of the United Nations.
Recommended Reading
Arc Resources to Supply Exxon with LNG Offtake from Cedar LNG
2025-03-11 - Exxon Mobil Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. has agreed to buy 1.5 million tonnes per annum of ARC Resources’ LNG offtake from the Cedar LNG Project when the facility begins commercial operations.
Canadian Government to Fund Portion of Cedar LNG’s $5.96B Development Cost
2025-03-24 - The Government of Canada has pledged to contribute up to $200 million to help the Haisla Nation and Pembina Pipeline Corp. develop the $5.96 billion Cedar LNG Project
Bottlenecks Holding US Back from NatGas, LNG Dominance
2025-03-13 - North America’s natural gas abundance positions the region to be a reliable power supplier. But regulatory factors are holding the industry back from fully tackling the global energy crisis, experts at CERAWeek said.
Expand CFO: ‘Durable’ LNG, Not AI, to Drive US NatGas Demand
2025-02-14 - About three-quarters of future U.S. gas demand growth will be fueled by LNG exports, while data centers’ needs will be more muted, according to Expand Energy CFO Mohit Singh.
Australia's Woodside in Talks with at Least Three Partners for Louisiana LNG, Sources Say
2025-02-18 - Woodside Energy has held talks with several potential buyers of stakes in its Louisiana LNG plant, including Tokyo Gas, Japan's JERA and Saudi Aramco-backed MidOcean Energy, multiple sources told Reuters.