Occidental Petroleum Corp. on Aug. 10 posted a $8.35 billion second-quarter loss on lower energy prices and write-downs as the U.S. oil producer has been trying to reduce debt amid a pandemic that has sapped fuel demand and prices.
Occidental, which borrowed heavily to finance last year's $38 billion purchase of rival Anadarko Petroleum, cut the value of its oil and gas properties by $6.6 billion, joining BP Plc, Chevron Corp. and Total SA in massive write-downs as the industry now expects energy prices to stay low for years.
Its oil and gas production will fall 13% this quarter over last, and another 5% in the fourth quarter, to 1.16 million bbl/d of oil and gas, the company said. In the Permian Basin, where it became the largest operator through the Anadarko purchase, shale output will drop 37% this year, it said.
Shares fell nearly 6% in late trading after rising $1.03 at $16.48. The stock is down 61% so far this year.
The average price Occidental received for crude oil plummeted about 61% to $23.17/bbl in the second quarter as oil prices crashed. It has cut jobs, slashed its dividend, reduced spending plans and sold assets to shore up its finances.
It expects to receive $2 billion or more in asset sales, according to the presentation.
Among the assets Occidental is trying to sell is a package of land and minerals in Wyoming and Colorado. The company has said that it hopes to close that sale in the fourth quarter.
Its net loss was $8.35 billion, or $9.12 per share, in the quarter, compared with earnings of $635 million, or 84 cents per share, a year earlier.
Excluding one-time items, the company lost $1.76 per share, compared with analysts' average estimates of $1.68, according to Refinitiv IBES.
Recommended Reading
Belcher: Trump’s Policies Could Impact Global Energy Markets
2025-01-24 - At their worst, Trump’s new energy policies could restrict the movement of global commerce and at their best increase interest rates and costs.
Trump to End Need for Some LNG Export Permit Renewals, Sources Say
2025-01-15 - Trump, who takes office on Jan. 20, has said he would issue an LNG order on day one that would end the pause on approvals for new LNG projects that outgoing President Joe Biden put in place in January last year.
CEO: TotalEnergies to Expand US LNG Investment Over Next Decade
2025-02-06 - TotalEnergies' investments could include expansion projects at its Cameron LNG and Rio Grande LNG facilities on the Gulf of Mexico, CEO Patrick Pouyanne said.
Trade War! Or Maybe Not
2025-03-06 - An energy industry that prefers stability gets hit with whiplash as it attempts to adjust to the Great Disruptor taking over the White House.
Segrist: Permit Reform Rumbles as US Seeks to ‘Unleash American Energy’
2025-03-19 - The White House has called for changes to a heavily criticized system, but new rules require a lot more work.